I am interested in a variety of topics in star formation. Primarily,
The formation of massive stars and massive star clusters.
How stellar feedback — the injection of energy and momentum from young stars — limits star formation and affects the dynamics of HII regions.
Star cluster disruption and its dependence on total stellar mass.
The goal of my research is to understand which stellar feedback processes dominate the star formation process for massive stars and massive star clusters, and to determine how feedback from the most massive stars in these clusters can limit star formation and may lead to the cluster’s ultimate disruption. I develop new numerical methods and perform simulations using the three-dimensional radiation-magnetohydrodynamics adaptive mesh refinement code ORION to work on these problems.
“Circumbinary Disks: Accretion and Torque as a Function of Mass Ratio and Disk” Duffell, P.C., D’Orazio, D., Derdzinski, A., Haiman, Z., MacFayden, A., Rosen, A.L., & Zrake, J., 2019, submitted to the Astrophysical Journal
- “Continuity of Accretion from Clumps to Class 0 High-Mass Protostars”, Avison A., Fuller, G.A., Peretto, N. Duarte-Cabrel, A., Rosen, A.L., Traficante, A., Pineda, J.E., Güsten, R., & Cunningham, N., submitted to Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Massive Star Formation via the Collapse of Subvirial and Virialized Turbulent Massive Cores”, Rosen, A.L., Li, P.S., Zhang, Q., Burkhart, B, 2019, The Astrophysical Journal (in press)
- unyt: Handle, manipulate, and convert data with units in Python, Goldbaum, N.J., ZuHone, J.A., Turk, M.J., Kowalik, K., Rosen, A.L, 2018, Journal of Open Source Software, 3, 28, 809, NASA ADS
- “Hybrid Adaptive Ray-Moment Method (HARM2): A Highly Parallel Method for Radiation Hydrodynamics on Adaptive Grids”, Rosen, A.L., Krumholz, M.R., Oishi, J.S., Lee, A.T., & Klein, R.I., 2017, Journal of Computational Physics, NASA ADS
- “An Unstable Truth: How Massive Stars get their Mass”, Rosen, A.L., Krumholz, M.R., McKee, C.F., & Klein, R.I., 2016, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 463, 2553, NASA ADS
- “Gone with the Wind: Where is the Missing Wind Energy from Massive Star Clusters?”, Rosen, A.L., Lopez, L.A., Krumholz, M.R., & Ramirez-Ruiz, E., 2014, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 442, 2701, NASA ADS
- “What Sets the Initial Rotation Rates of Massive Stars?”, Rosen, A.L., Krumholz, M.R., & Ramirez-Ruiz, E., 2012, The Astrophysical Journal, 745, 145, NASA ADS
Link to my google scholar page